Thursday, November 8, 2007

Why ban over the counter meds from children?

http://www.wkrn.com/nashville/news/infant-cough-cold-meds-focus-of-fda-hearing/124301.htm

Well another thing the government is taking away from us parents. The right to medicate our sick children without having to go to the doctor. As a mother myself I wonder why do they keep doing this to us, its like they enjoy letting parents suffer b/c a few families can't read the back of the bottle and give their kids the correct dose! I'm sorry but when my son has a slight cold and cought, I would rather give him over-the-counter cought medicine to help him through the night. Now yes I know that you should let their immune system fight off the virus/cold, but the medicine does let the immune system do that and helps the child be comfortable til then. I know you probably should take them to the doctor, but I'm sorry half the time the doctor tells you to get the available meds instead of writting out a prescription if your child isn't seriously sick. And if your child is sick they usually right out a cought syrup that has a highly addictive and dangerous drug called Codine. How is that safer for our children then the over the counter formulas?????!!!!!

Most of us parents are responisble enought to know how much to give a child and well we were given the same doses when we were kids and they didn't ban it back then so why now? What happens if our child is sick late at night(like cought and lowgrade fever), no doctors offices are open and going to the ER is just too expensive and a bunch of hassle what are we to do then?

I would seriously like the government and company officials, and many mothers here at work state the same thing, who placed this ban should come to our house when our kids sick and let them deal with our sick children without the children's tylenol and cough syrup. And see how they like it.

Now my rant is done now read and discuss if you want!

No comments: